Board of Trustees/Council of Trustees of West Chester University Records
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Arrangement See individual series descriptions.
Biographical or Historical Information
The duties, responsibilities, and powers of West Chester University’s Council of Trustees are set by Act 188. The Council meets at least five times a year and publishes an agenda prior to each meeting. Meetings are open to the public. The Council reflects the University’s diverse population and possesses an array of professional expertise. Currently six members are alumni who provide a sense of University history and context.
The trustees are an active, valuable supporting force for West Chester University. The President frequently consults with trustees on University issues and initiatives important to the future success of the University. The Council of Trustees greatly assists with advancing the reputation of West Chester University and representing WCU throughout the state and nation.
From: http://wcupa.edu/president/trustees/,12/04/2015. In April 1869, the Board of Trustees of the now-defunct West Chester Academy met to discuss establishing a Normal School at West Chester. By August 1869, the board would hold a meeting with West Chester citizens and under the direction of Dr. William Darlington, created a three-part resolution that: recognized the importance and need to establish a State Normal School in West Chester; transferred the property, museum, library, and Trustees of the West Chester Academy to the proposed Normal School; and established a committee to work with the board to establish the school by selling stocks. At a meeting on September 9, 1869, a set of agreements was adopted, which began the transition of the West Chester Academy to the West Chester State Normal School. By January 1870, a Board of Managers was established to oversee the business of moving from an Academy to a Normal School as well as purchasing land and hiring an architect to build the school. An act by Chester County legislature on March 10, 1870 officially authorized the Board of Trustees and Contributors to the West Chester Academy to become the West Chester State Normal School. By February 22, 1871, land was purchased and a building constructed and the Normal School was officially listed as a State Normal School for the First District. On May 1, 1871, the stockholders met to elect the first Board of Trustees for West Chester State Normal School. These nine men were: Dr. Wilmer Worthington, William S. Kirk, R.T. Cornwell, John G. Robinson, William E. Moore, Marshall B. Hickman, William B. Waddell, Evan Rodgers, and Hosiah Hoopes. The Board of Trustees was renamed to the Council of Trustees in 1984. The Trustees hold meetings numerous times a year to carry out business, recommendations, policy changes, and approvals in order to better West Chester University of Pennsylvania.Note written by Taylor L. Getty
- Description rules
- Language of description
Part of the West Chester University Archives Repository